Saturday, June 20, 2009

So Much, So Much

Well, let's just start this one off with a bang!

I recently got hired at The Daily Texan, which is the University of Texas official student newspaper. It's one of the top college newspapers in the country, so the fact that I got hired makes me want to install rockets in my shoes and take off right through my ceiling. I got hired for the Life & Arts section, in which I will be writing CD reviews, concert previews and feature pieces depending on if they like my ideas.

I've already had two articles published. One article was a review on an art exhibit and the other article was a preview about Santigold, who played here in Austin on Monday.

Recent CD Purchases: The Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D. I reviewed this CD for the Daily Texan, but the story didn't get put in the paper, due to spacing issues. Also, the CD itself is a futuristic club dance pop crazy psychosis of synths, beats and smooth raps. While this may sound like a good enough compliment, let me halt you right there. The album is decent in the fact that they portrayed whatever it is they were trying to portray; however, the album itself became kind of monotonous and seemed to go only in one direction and never veered from that. I think what made The Black Eyed Peas a house-hold name is the fact that they are very diverse and touch upon many genres; however, with this album they stuck to one genre, and while it was good, it wasn't legendary, which is what they promised.

On another note, I am going to see Jenny Lewis w/ The Heartless Bastards Monday night at Stubb's. I'm muy excited. I love The Heartless Bastards and I love Jenny Lewis, so the fact that they're playing a show together means that I'll probably die of a heart attack or take like 4 rolls of pictures that won't come out good anyway because venues suck if you don't have good flash, which I don't. Either way, I'm very excited. That's all I got for now. Peace and love!

-Mark

No comments: