Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Burnin' For You

Here are The Sonics!...Native Korean Rock...Kanye W...

I once read somewhere that the idea of music is that it should be shared and it should be treasured by the majority because given the masses will always move toward new trends and new ideas, music in itself is a constant. People will always need a beat, an instrument, something to express themselves. Personally, I have many outlets for that, but regardless of who you are, music should always be a big part of your life, and if it isn't, that just means you haven't heard enough good stuff. Listen to some Sinatra and ease your way in.

Moving along, my import of The Sonics' Here Are The Sonics! has finally come in and I've been listening to it nonstop. I was in my office the other day talking to a friend and this band came up, and though I've loved them for years, I realized that I didn't own any of their records. So, I immediately went home and ordered this bad boy, and no regrets thus far. If I remember correctly, it's basically an album of good rock covers, with the only original song being "The Witch," but no one can do covers like this band. You can hear them "Walking The Dog" below:



Also, since I'm gearing up for the release of Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Mosquito, coming out later this month, I've been delving into the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' earlier stuff, and have slowly migrated to the lo-fi demos of Native Korean Rock & The Fishnets (Karen O's brief side project). I've written about them before, so I won't waste too much time reiterating my appreciation of O's vocals, the rough, sweet quality of the recordings, or the clear sentimental heart that possesses these recordings. Just listen to "Day Go By" below:



Also, after reading that Kanye West was coming out with a new album some time this year, I was talking to my roommate about it, to which she asked, "Is that guy legit or is he just some privileged ass with a mic?" I told her, "Unfortunately, it's the latter." BUT, that doesn't mean the man isn't talented. Granted, I hate his personality and would rather him not speak ... EVER. However, listening to his music can be a mixed blessing. You can be blessed to get tracks like "Everything I Am," which are noted for their poignant reiterations of this man's character, or you can get 808s & Heartbreak, and who wants that? Regardless, I'm sure people will be excited if and when he decides to drop a new album. Until then, we still have everything else, including "Everything I Am."



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: