Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Back To The GARAGE...

I begin this entry with a question: What is a music blogger to do when they've gone months and months without listening to music due to a hectic lifestyle and they've just been blessed with an immense amount of free time? Well, I'll tell you. We play catch-up! And so, due to this fun game of catch-up, I have been listening to music nonstop for the past week or so, and because of this, my music listening has gone toward a jumbled mix of various genres, like Paul Robeson's Favorite Songs, Adele's 21, and my favorite...The modern garage, psych revivalists!

Though I've mentioned these artists before, I have to pay them props again to further explain myself...Thee Oh Sees and Ty Segall.

I first came across Thee Oh Sees after watching them play at the Mohawk during SXSW, and they put on an excellent show. The energy was perfect, and the music was thrashy enough to not understand what the singers were yelling, but perfect enough to catch the key changes, and have a good idea of what would come next. I've been listening to their album The Master's Bedroom Is Worth Spending a Night In. It's got some great tunes (ie: "Visit Colonel," "Grease 2," and "Adult Acid"). In case I wasn't too clear, this was a recommendation.

Another recommendation comes in the form of me flaunting my admiration and astounding appreciation (wow, a lot of A's) for Ty Segall, another garage, psych prodigy (sort of). I've been listening to his 2010 release Melted, though Segall just came out with a new album, Goodbye Bread though I cannot comment on it because I haven't listened to it. But, what I like about Melted is Segall's youthful spontaneity and lack of uniform ideas. Though the album is one uniform concept, it still maintains a lack of structure, but it's a decent listen. Listen to tracks "Girlfriend" and "Imaginary Person." You won't regret it.

Oh, and check out The Kelley Deal 6000's Boom! Boom! Boom!. It's kind of the shit. Peace!

No comments: