Sunday, July 17, 2011

Old and Fresh

So, since I have been staying back in Corpus Christi for the past few weeks, my music listening has become sort of stalled in the sense that it is harder for me to go online and seek new musicians and artists to fill my time and ears with. So, I am privileged to be under the musical care of a good friend (who has been letting me crash on her couch), and listening to her eclectic and somewhat off-hand tastes. When I say off-hand, I mean she posted a video of The Spice Girl's "2 become 1" on my Facebook page as a "thank-you" and "I'm so happy you're staying with me" message. It was well-received.

But, her tastes are unparalleled to some. Since I've been staying with her, I've been more exposed to some great music, like Electric Light Orchestra (PS: I recently bought their 1981 album, Time, and I'd strongly recommend it). There's just something great about Jeff Lynne's songwriting. It's progressive, it's futuristic, it's fucking weird to be honest, but it's hard not to become totally enveloped in the intricate song structures and dynamic sounds.

Also, I've been listening to a lot of George Harrison, circa post-Beatles 1980s as well as a lot of Otis Redding, which is never a bad thing. No matter how many bad days, or how many distraught hours one can spend contemplating the nastiness that lingers within human society, it's easy to get lost in Redding's voice and forget about all that shit.

Now, this isn't to say that I was never exposed to these artists at many points in time of my life; however, due to my friend's love for overplaying great artists, I can only thank her for drilling greatness into my head for three weeks. PS: If you are reading this, you gotta stop listening to Bob Marley every time you get stoned. He's great and all, but that just screams huge cliche.

I'll leave you with a fantastic song by a fantastic vocalist. Enjoy. Peace!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Gomez said...

1) Bob Marely came on when Y'ALL had my iTunes on shuffle. And it was one time! One time for which I am not responsible!
2) Spice Girls are so awesome that Meat Loaf agreed to be in their movie
3) I am definitely NOT cyber-stalking you because I miss you to pieces
4) I love your blog, espcially the ELO, Otis and Mumford& Sons references...
AND 5) the Caller Times called, and they want their Chibald back!