Monday, September 12, 2011

Un renacimiento de escucha

As a music listener, one of the many things I can be thankful for are good friends with good taste in music. It's assumed that I may not always agree on their tastes; however, I can succumb to the inward urge to venture forth and give an educated look at what's coming across, either aesthetically or just visually (not literally visual, but more so the artist's vision.)

Today, I played switch-a-roo with a friend, and I recommended her to listen to Lana Del Rey's song "Video Games." She loved it, and played it at least three times today. In turn, she recommended me to listen to Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know" off of his latest LP Making Mirrors. I have to say that I like his simple approach toward a break-up song, yet he uses his music to stylistically portray the somber onset of a bad breakup, but in the chorus, his voice explodes into a more angry resentment at the fact that break-ups make strangers out of the people involved. As a writer, the symbolism in the song was what drove me to even blog about it, because I thought it was a fresh look at the age-old break-up lament. Here's the video below:



Also, as I have said before, I've had to stick to my own personal stash of LP's, in that my broke ass cannot afford to hit the record shops every time an album comes out. That's why if I'm not listening to one of my records or cd's, I'm glued to my computer, watching music videos, or making another playlist on Grooveshark. So, on that note, I've revisited The Strange Boys, mainly listening to their album ...And Girls Club. It's a nice little take on old school r&b, blues, and rock n roll. I was quite fascinated with them in late 2008, early 2009, when I noticed a trend in bands reverting back to 60's garage and psychedelic, and I noticed that in Austin, they were one of the bands at the forefront of that "movement," but let's not use that word. Either way, my fascination with them kind of wavered, but it was a welcomed reintroduction to pop that cd in the disc-changer. You can view the video for the song "Woe Is You and Me" below.



That's all I got for tonight. Peace!

No comments: