Monday, September 26, 2011

Coun-Tronic!

Can't necessarily coin that term, nor would I want to, but hey, that's where my head's at right now. It's a bright, sunny morning, and all I can do, besides laundry, is browse the web in an attempt to find music that soothes me, moves me, or does something to me. That last bit kind of makes me want to listen to Tommy James and the Shondells. But, at this moment, I'll just save that little one for later.

So, working at Urban Outfitters, we are forced to co-exist with Urban Radio, listening to random artists, ranging from the newly hip (Nikki Lane), and what Urban likes to consider oldies, but goodies like Animal Collective, Bon Iver, and maybe even a little Pixies thrown in to good effect, but I guess that's their way of being "diverse." In other words, it sucks. But, the other day, I did hear this one catchy song by the aforementioned Nikki Lane, and it wasn't half-bad. Granted it's the kind of song that catches your ear for three days, and then it's gone because it wasn't good enough to stay in the first place. But, I'm not going to showcase that song, "Gone Gone Gone," in case you want to hear it. Upon browsing her name on the web, I found this little gem, titled "Look Away." You can view the video below:



Also, I've been getting into Silver Apples lately. I've heard of them from several people, but have never really given them a solid listen, until this morning. And, given my love-hate relationship with electronic music, it's good to hear something that was refreshing for its time, especially considering they were, or are considered, precursors to a lot of electronic, dance, and house music that became prominent in the 90s. I've pasted the song, "You and I" below. It's the first track off their second album, which came out in 1969, titled Contact.



That's all. Peace.

No comments: