Sunday, November 13, 2011

Love and Chaos

Where do you find a balance between the two? And what are the good jams to get you through?

Well, lately, I have been sort of monopolizing Grooveshark to the extent that I am constantly digging within their scraps for something that is going to move me, shake me, or just create some semblance of a stir. What I've gathered from their dismal landscape are two great artists. One, I've mentioned before. The other, not as yet (and shame me for it!)

I've been listening to the debut, self-titled album by Silver Apples, and it's great. I wouldn't put it on for a typical day of doing shit around the house, but it's good to listen to if you're in the mood for something different and a little unsettling. Yes, unsettling. There weren't many slow, feel-good jams, but there were interesting moments. I like "Oscillations" and "Dancing Gods," the best (at least so far).

The other album I've been listening to is Safe as Milk by Captain Beefheart. After hearing The Kills cover their song "Dropout Boogie," on the extended edition of Keep On Your Mean Side, I thought I should seek out the original version and see what the Kills saw in it. And, while the original version is good, the entire album is fantastic. It has my favorites: blues, psychedelic, spontaneity, etc. Let's just boil it down to the fact that it was a good find.

Also, I'm in search of good love songs. I'm not talking about the classics like The Everly Brothers or The Temptations. I'm talking about contemporary love songs. I feel as though people nowadays can't really write a good love song, or at least a song that hits and cuts deep. Adele's "One and Only" comes pretty damn close, but as far as contemporary stuff goes, some of my favorites include Jenny Lewis's "Trying My Best To Love You," Robert Plant and Alison Krauss' "Stick With Me Baby," Devendra Banhart's "Baby," Yeah Yeah Yeahs' "Porcelain," and many more. But, I'm always up to more suggestions, so feel free to email or message some good ones if you read this.

After finally watching Blue Valentine, which was great, I was definitely taken aback by the sincerity and feel-good quality of this little gem, though it's probably old to most people. Like I said, I'm always behind and always ready to play catch-up. You can listen below. Peace.

No comments: