Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Making It Right!

Well, I'm just back home after a brief sting (8 days) in the NYC, and I had a blast with some of my oldest, best friends, and even though I was only there for a short duration, I find it difficult getting back to the day-to-day of Corpus Christi life. Oh well, I'll get used to it, or die in the process, but here goes nothing.

On a musical note, I didn't really get to listen to too much stuff while I was in New York, but the stuff that I did get to listen to was pretty good, as well as being pretty scattered. Most of it I don't recall the name of because it was heard in passing, but what I do remember is one song by Karen O and the Kids (done for the soundtrack of Where The Wild Things Are). It was playing in a bar called DRAM, and above all of the shouting/talking voices, and the bartenders sharing recipes, it was like a heavenly presence in the room letting everyone know that all of their nonsense wouldn't outlast the sound. Now, I've been listening to Karen O and the Kids trying to find that particular song.

On another Karen O note, I've been listening to her side project, Native Korean Rock & The Fishnets. It's fantastic. Most of the recordings I've heard have been on Youtube, and they are all rough sounding demos, but if you love Yeah Yeah Yeahs as much as I do, you probably won't care. Here's the video for my favorite song from them so far, called "Body,"



Also, while browsing in a thrift store in uber-hipster wonderland that is Williamsburg, I found a CD in a dollar bin by a band called Buttsteak. Yeah, so I bought it, only to discover that they are a pop-punk band from the early 90's. Awesome, considering I hate pop-punk bullshit, but I'm listening to it right now, and it's definitely something I could get used to. Plus, they also do a cover of "These Boots Are Made For Walking." So, they've got class.

Peace!

No comments: