Thursday, December 8, 2011

Born For Something

If you have nowhere to go, turn up that stereo.

Well, the blogosphere is going a little nuts with the release of Lana Del Rey's next single, "Born To Die." This is mostly due to the fact that her last song, "Video Games," made such a huge splash, and basically turned her into an internet sensation, garnering praise and negative backlash, as well as a slot on Later with Jools Holland (which pretty much bombed). Now, I am with the former in that I loved and still love "Video Games." I thought it was a refreshing tune, and I liked her sultry vocals over the piano and string arrangements. "Born To Die," sounds nice at first, but it doesn't hit quite as hard, and after hearing more of Del Rey's work on a demo a friend ripped, I was left with the feeling that she is one of those singers who is going to make a momentary mark in the music world and then fade away. Basically, at the heart of it, she's another Lily Allen. The spunk is there, but the ingenuity won't last.

I also heard a new track by french duo Air. The track is called "Seven Stars" and features Victoria Legrand (of Beach House). Now, I've said before that I'm not an electronic fan. The reason I chose to write about this song is because I cannot constantly write about music that I love because that's too one-sided. So, now I get to share a little hate with the world. I hate this track. The beat doesn't grab me, and the sonic overtones of the song just don't quite add up. It drones along, and has a random synth/voice sample that comes out of nowhere. And when Legrand comes in toward the end, it's too little too late. I'm sure electronic fans will jiz to it, but I'm not quite convinced. I like what they did in The Virgin Suicides though.

Here's a little tune I hadn't listened to in some time. It's one of my favorites.



More to come. Peace!

No comments: