Sunday, December 18, 2011

Grand Ambitions

Beck Adds his shit to some shit...Arcade Fire release new vid...and Murdoch wants to make a film

I'm always fascinated by artists modes of work. Some produce insane amounts of work in such short spans of time (ie: Jack White), while some take a longer time to perfect their craft, be it representing their work through a more visual medium, or even just fine-tuning some stuff that's already been cut.

Either way, First, I'd like to talk about The Arcade Fire. After listening to The Suburbs, I was pleasantly surprised that they came out so strong, considering that to me The Neon Bible was a little of a disappointment. Not that it didn't have some good tracks, but the overall tone of the album was a little too modest than I'd like this band to be. But, then they came out with the 'burbs and my love was instantly re-instated. That said, the video for their new single, "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)," is fantastic. I've always loved Regine Chassagne's voice (Listen to "In The Backseat," and tell me you don't fall in love), and I like the various concepts of this video (muted colors, faceless people, suburban backdrops, etc.), and the timing is just perfect. Sorry, I'm a nerd for this shit. Either way, you can watch the video below:



In other news, Stuart Murdoch (singer-songwriter for Belle and Sebastian) is making a movie! Well, it has been in the works for some years, and the film is to be titled "God Help The Girl," which seems to be about his musical project started a few years ago, also called God Help The Girl. Most of the songs were covers of Belle and Sebastian material, sung by three girls that Murdoch recruited. The band was short-lived, only releasing one album and one EP. But, it was all done under the guidance of Murdoch himself in that he wanted the band to be dismantled before he made the movie, so that the focus of the film would be their time together. Pretty calculated. Here's a video below with Murdoch talking to producer, Barry Mendel, about the project.



Lastly, I know I've raved and raved about Feist's new album Metals, but I thought it was pretty note-worthy that Beck remixed her first single, "How Come You Never Go There." Now, I've never been too big of a fan of remixes, but if they are done well, who am I to turn them away. And in my wayward opinion, I think Beck is a genius. I like the original version better, but Beck's remix is snazzy take on the love-ridden track. Check It Out:

How Come You Never Go There (Beck Remix) by Feist

That's all. Peace.

No comments: