Monday, December 26, 2011

Post-Christmas Rejuvenation

Cat Power releases new track/video...The xx release demo...Lady Gaga shares a song on Christmas...

Well, it seems that the Christmas spirit has struck a musical chord in a lot of musicians. Most of 'em seem to be releasing old demos, new tracks, or random videos to keep themselves in the limelight, but for various reasons of course. To start, let's talk about Cat Power's new song "King Rides By." She released the song on Christmas Eve to spread awareness for the Festival of Children Foundation and the Ali Forney Center. The song is typical-Chan Marshall. Her smokey vocals, and the song's ballsey (??) attitude convey her persona to the extent that you feel like you're listening to The Greatest again. If you want to hear the track, and see the video (featuring Filipino boxing champ Manny Pacquiao), you can view it here.

Also, The xx have released a demo for a song they recorded while in the studio for their upcoming album. The xx hit it big in 2009, with the release of their first self-titled debut album, and I guess folks were just really into their post-80s indie pop sadness. I'm not opposed. They are pretty good. I don't know what the album will be called, but they've said it's going to be inspired by "club music." You can listen to the demo for the song "Open Eyes" below.



In other news, Lady Gaga is getting sued by her former assistant for unpaid overtime...big whoop. She cashed in on 90 mil this year, so I'm sure a lousy $300,000 can be blinked away without a seconds pause. But, she released a song on Christmas, so her :gulp: monsters :gulp: can keep her in their minds and hearts when they are spreading Christmas queer cheer around the globe. Now, I listened to the song, "Stuck on Fuckin' You," and had to stop about half-way through. It started to sound like a crazy drunk bitch having solitary fun with a karaoke machine. As Ja'mie from Summer Heights High would say..."no offense, but it's true."



Also, as my Christmas went, I enjoyed the gifts I got, even though I didn't get the only thing I asked for. But that's how my luck runs, so it's best when I don't ask for anything. But, I have enjoyed listening to Simon & Garfunkel's Sound of Silence LP, and reading a book of plays by Stephen Adly Guirgis. Overall, Christmas was good. I hope everyone else's was just as sweet, if not sweeter.

PEACE.

No comments: