Thursday, December 22, 2011

Does It Merritt A Mention?

Untitled Radiohead song from the 90s hits the web...Stephen Merritt releases video for his Franz Ferdinand cover...Windy & Carl release new song...Stereogum's Top 10 Late Night Television Performances of 2011...

Radiohead is one of those bands that has been revered for years and years with many people focusing on their ever-changing vibes, and genius of wit to match those changes. Now, I've never been a huge fan of this band, but I've always respected their work, and have always kept myself in the know for news about them. So, I came across an untitled demo from the 90s, but it was supposedly never released. But, for those hardcore fans, here it is for your listening pleasure.



Stephen Merritt, one of the quietest, weirdest, and most genius song-writers I've come to listen to and love, has released a video for his cover of Franz Ferdinand's "Dream Again." The cover was done for Franz Ferdinand's Covers EP for Record Store Day earlier this year. Though I haven't heard the original because I pretty much stopped listening to Franz Ferdinand after their self-titled debut album (which was great!), I like Merritt's take on the track, and I'm sure technology nerds will like the video. You can watch below:



Also, Windy & Carl, the husband-and-wife duo who have been making music since the 90s, have come out with a new song that is going to be on their new LP. The Dearborn, Michigan team's album (to be titled We Will Always Be)comes out some time next year, but until then, fans will have a song to tide them over. I like the atmospheric quality of the track. I could definitely see it on the soundtrack of a Sophia Coppola movie. If it's not clear, that was a compliment. But, you can listen to the song below:



Lastly, Stereogum, one of my favorite music websites, just released their top-10 favorite late night shows of 2011. It definitely let me know that I pretty much missed all of them in that I don't own a TV. But, from watching the videos on their website, my favorites include Girls performing "Honey Bunny," Wild Flag performing "Romance," and Das Racist performing "Michael Jackson." You can view the list here.

Also, I'm currently re-listening to PJ Harvey's 2011 masterpiece, Let England Shake, and finding out once again why the album made so many best-of lists, and why Harvey was granted so many accolades. It's a terrific album. If you haven't heard it, please do so. On top of that, a friend introduced me to a band called Iron Horse and their "Pickin' on" series, which includes bluegrass covers of bands like Modest Mouse, The Shins, and more. Right now, I have their cover of Modest Mouse's "Gravity Rides Everything," on repeat.

That's all. Peace.

No comments: