Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What's New For Me is New For You

Some good shit on the horizon, and some stuff that's interesting to say the least.

Well, part of the joy of listening to music is reading about music. To me, that's one of the great parts. Maybe it's attributed to my love for Lester Bangs, or Josh Eels, but either way, music journalism is in itself a crazy conundrum of art. That being said, when you read about certain bands or certain things, it can bring out any particular emotion. DUH!

So, when I read that Kesha (and no, I'm not gonna do that stupid fucking money sign) is doing a cover of Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright," perhaps one of my all-time favorite songs, I was a little bummed. I'm not going to lie. I am completely at odds with everything Kesha stands for. I don't find her to be a legitimate artist, and I basically almost vomited on myself when I first heard "Tik Tok." No joke. So, when I read this, it brought out the most monstrous form of hate that a pacifist can muster, which can be pretty monstrous, don't test me. But, once I heard her version of the song, I was humbly surprised. One, she actually has a decent singing voice. Two, she didn't put her bullshit pop spin to the track (which is what I thought she would do), and three, it's not terrible. It's not exceptional either. You can listen for yourself below.



In other music news, I am excited to learn that The Magnetic Fields are coming out with a new album. After I discovered The Charm of the Highway Strip some years ago, I've kind of been tracking Stephen Merritt's career. I didn't really listen to their last album, but Distortion was good. So, their new album is to be titled Love At The Bottom of the Sea, and you can view the tracklist here.

Also, it's made some music news that The Black Keys are not allowing their newest release, El Camino to be streamed online, and in an interview with VH1 News, they explain their decision. You can watch below.



That's all.

No comments: