Wednesday, March 28, 2012

WHAT'S THIS GARBAGE?!

Garbage shares song from new LP...Damon Albarn gets folky...What's up with White Fence?...

Well, let's start this thing off with a little Garbage...no pun intended? Garbage is one of those bands that you heard of if you grew up with an older, angsty sister in the 90s, at least that's my situation. The first and second albums were staples in the house I grew up in, especially the track "Special," from their album, Version 2.0. I've always liked Garbage, and I loved that they are so blatantly, obviously 90s, but that they blatantly, obviously don't give a shit. And from watching an interview with Shirley Manson on Chelsea Lately, the Scottish singer said that she originally planned on retiring until seeing a band play at Coachella(?), and thinking to herself that she could work the stage so much better, and the idea that this band wasn't doing it right prompted her out of thinking about retirement. Having said that, their new track, "Battle In Me," is the first single off their new LP, Not Your Kind of People. And from taking a first listen, it appears that they're picking up right where they left off. Mind you, I didn't listen to any of their albums past Version 2.0, but this track sounds like it would have been right at home on that LP, which means Garbage is righteously back on. You can listen below:



Moving on...Damon Albarn announced that he is recording an operatic album, titled Dr Dee, and he's released the first snippet, giving fans a little preview into the tone and mood of the LP, which will be out on May 7. The album is supposedly inspired by John Dee, historical figure and advisor to Queen Elizabeth I. At first listen, I like this new direction, having only heard his work with Gorillaz...oh and that one Blur song that I know of. You can listen for yourself below:



LISTENING: My listening is improving in that I am actually making it a point to constantly listen to music, whether at work, or at home, or reading, or cooking, or singing to myself. So...last night while reading, I took a listen to White Fence's album Is Growing Faith, and I have to say that it's definitely caught my attention. Usually, nothing can pull me away from reading, but I found myself constantly looking at the stereo to remember what track was playing because several of them just struck me. Key tracks that I liked were "A Pearl is Not a Diamond," "Get That Heart," and "Stranger Things Have Happened (To You)."

The project of Tim Presley, White Fence plays on psychedelic moments mixed with garage rock, creating a hybrid that is at times ethereal, and at times uncomfortable (in a good way?), but it works. And...Presley also sings backup for The Strange Boys...whom I've also written about...weird how things come full circle. Also, I mentioned yesterday that Ty Segall and White Fence are releasing an album together, titled Hair, and White Fence is set to release a new LP, titled Family Perfume Vol. 1 on April 3rd, so be on the lookout for that. You can listen to my current favorite track by them (titled "Stranger Things Have Happened (To You)") below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: