Monday, April 6, 2009

Dizamn!

Okay, I understand that some professors have the ability to make you think, make you question, make you want to investigate. However, then you get those certain professors that just make you wonder what is wrong with people.

My journalism professor sent me to a junkie-filled haven full of prostitutes, homeless people, and drug addicts. I get it. I get that places like that exist. I don't mind having to go to places like that for a good story. However, when he told my partner-in-crime that the reason he sent us there was because he thought I would "fit in," that pissed me the hell off.

I'm sorry, but when did being Mexican and having tattoos automatically place you in a less-than-desirable group. It's bullshit. It's stereotypical, egomeniacal crap. I'm sorry I don't have light skin, and no tattoos, but that's just how I was born. That's what makes me who I am.

Upon confronting him about it, he declared, "you're too sensitive. Stop looking so much into it." Thanks, Prof. Bob Mann. That made me feel a lot better, and now I understand how the world works. Another lesson in the life of a journalism student at the University of Texas.

No comments: