Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Time, Time

Wow, everyday seems to be moving at a pace that is too quick to be understandable. The days drift by without a moment's hesitation, and all I can do is look back and wonder where it's all going. I have to pop another CD in my stereo and hope that the rhythms and beats take me away to a place where time stands still and I have the room to breathe and examine where everything is heading and re-assess where I want everything to go.

Lately, I have been listening to Cat Power's The Greatest. It's such an excellent CD. Her voice and the simple soulful blues mix in a combination that makes you wonder how something so good was ever recorded. Just listen to Lived In Bars, and you will understand. However, don't be discouraged by the music video. It's not the most excellent of videos some may argue, me being one of them.

I was informed earlier today that my uncle, who has been fighting the good fight for as long as I can remember, has to have his leg amputated because his knee replacement failed. I was extremely sad, but when I called him to tell him he was in my prayers and that I hoped everything was well, he said, "I knew I was taking a gamble from the start. The knee didn't take. What can you do?" That's all he had to say for me to understand that some people are dealt horrible cards, but it matters what you do with those cards that depicts what kind of person you are and how you make your mark in the world. He has certainly made his mark, and he, in some ways, is my hero.

When times get hard, look to loved ones and God to help you make it through. Listen to some good jams, and let it get you on through to the next day. And if something is too hard to deal with, smoke a joint. It works for me. Peace, love, and everything in between.

No comments: