Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I Was Thinkin...

In as little as ten minutes, my feet ventured across campus toward the Life Sciences Library, while my body lay in the grass in front of Mezes Hall. I tried to unwind by smoking a cigarette, while my phone was figuring out who it wanted to call. On my iPod, I was listening to Joanna Newsom, hoping that her voice and gentle melodies would take me away from this horrible campus, back into my bed, so I could smoke a bowl and have excellent dreams, and yet, I am in the Life Sciences Library. I am here. I'm not there. I am here.

That's depressing. I hate having two hour breaks at school with nothing to do and being bored and tired as hell. Yes, everyone tells me that I should do my homework, but homework is just not fun when you're half asleep while doing it. And it's funny because as I write this, a few guys are changing the computer screens and replacing them with new LCD flat screens, and yet they are avoiding this computer because I am typing away on it. Guess they will have to wait, but it's only a matter of time before they come up to me and ask me to move to another computer, so they can finish their job.

So, I am a journalism major at the University of Texas. I am currently taking my first journalism course, and I HATE IT! The title of the class is Critical Issues in Journalism Today. That title alone calls for the middle finger, but let's be civil today. I sit in this class 3 hours a week, listening to a monotone voice drone about how politics is shaping journalism today and all throughout history. Okay, I get it. But this interests me in no way, seeing as how this isn't the type of journalism that I want to pursue anyway. I don't want to write about politics because I am not interested in politics. I want to write about music because that is what I am interested in. And I mean, even if things don't work out, it'd be a cold day in hell before I ever succumb to a desk job at a local newspaper, editing the classifieds.

On a much lighter note, a good CD I cannot get out of my head is Thank God For Mental Illness by The Brian Jonestown Massacre. Everyone should own this album. It is excellent. Of course, as my luck would have it, it was not the CD I wanted, but it was the only one the store had besides Take It From The Man!, which I already own. My next conquest is either Mellowgold by Beck or The Satanic Majesties Second Request by (you guessed it!) The Brian Jonestown Massacre. High-5! I need to hit up End of an Ear because I heard it is an excellent CD store. That is one of the things I love about living in Austin, all the cool locally owned stores.

Well, it is time for me to escape back into the world of work, studying, and pop quizzes. It is time to venture into the unknown desciplines of the university school system. It is time to dive into the ocean of education, rather than stay in the skies of content. BLAH! I hate school!

Peace!

No comments: