Thursday, October 9, 2008

It's Good To Be The One

So, while many of the contributions I have made online have been minimal, it is a necessity that I start putting my thoughts out there for anyone and everyone who cares, or doesn't, to see them. The title that I have chosen for this blog is Music, Mars, and Me. Music, because that is what I am all about, Mars, because when I'm high, that's where I feel like I am, and Me, because I'm just so self-involved, I thought I'd start my own blog.

So, not to sound weird, or preachy, I had a discussion with a friend about the stand-point of music in today's society. She seems to believe that nothing good comes out anymore, that music is never going to be how it was when the greats existed like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, etc. I have to disagree. I digress and regress my opinions, while lighting that fat joint, and put on some of The Brian Jonestown Massacre, to say that music in itself is ever-changing and constant good music is coming out today. What I also like is that music is more accessible. It is easy to get your favorite songs online by *cough*illegal downloading*cough*. I know...Iknow...

Downloading goes against many ethics and especially the ethics of music lovers who feel that you should support your favorite bands by buying their cd's, but shit man, I'm fucking broke. I cannot buy every album I want to like some other people can. Sometimes, all I have to rely on is Limewire to get me what I want. The last cd I bought was Acid Tongue by Jenny Lewis. At first listen, I was a little apprehensive, seeing as how Rabbit Fur Coat was a masterpiece. But damn, this girl just keeps getting better and better. If you like country, blues, folk, or music in general, this is definitely a good buy.

OH SHIT!!!! I forgot to mention how AWESOME Austin City Limits was. It was my first year attending the three-day festival, and damn, I got to see so many great bands. I saw (in no particular order) MGMT, Gnarls Barkley, N.E.R.D., The Foo Fighters, Beck, The Mars Volta, Okkervil River, Against Me!, Iron & Wine, Jenny Lewis, Neko Case, Jamie Lidell, The Kills (one of my favorites), Gogol Bordello (CRAZY!), and I can't remember the rest. But damn, it was the shit! Three days of good music, good people, good weed, and good booze. Honestly, what more can you ask for?

Well, I would like to end my first entry with saying 'It's good to be the one' because sometimes, it just is. While that statement probably makes absolutely no sense, it does to me. I'm not "the one" to anyone in particular, it's just good to feel important to yourself, and great to have good people in your life who make you feel better about being yourself. Therefore, everyone should know how good it is to be "the one" to yourself.

Peace, love, and music.

No comments: