Friday, February 17, 2012

Dylan and Motels

Dave Grohl responds to criticism...Miley Cyrus covers Bob Dylan (WtF)...Modest Mouse and the Little Motel...

Well, I haven't been really reading any music news as of late, mainly because I've been working on some other shit. Having not watched The Grammys, I missed out on some supposedly key acceptance speeches, namely that of Dave Grohl, which has been receiving some backlash. Thought to be dismissing the importance of electronic music, in USA Today, Grohl clarifies by stating that the "human element" he was referring to in terms of making music was that which every human possesses, which is the gift to transfer feelings and emotions through the medium of music. Well, he didn't exactly word it that way, that was more my interpretation, but you an read about it here.

Also, Miley Cyrus recently performed her version of the track, "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go," by Bob Dylan. The track was recorded for a compilation album called Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan Honoring 50 Years of Amnesty International. The album is already available to the masses for your listening pleasure. Some cool people make appearances on the record, including Patti Smith, The Kronos Quartet, Joan Baez, My Morning Jacket, and more. Nevertheless, you can view Miley Cyrus' take on Bob Dylan below:



LISTENING: I've spent the past couple of days on a severe Modest Mouse kick. The first album I ever got into was of course, Good News for People Who Love Bad News. I know...I know...it was pretty late in their career. However, I'm always behind, remember? Either way, but I got into some of their earlier stuff a few years ago, including The Lonesome Crowded West and The Moon & Antarctica. But, I've spent the past couple of days listening to their last LP, We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank, and it's brilliant! I can't believe I waited so long to give this album a full listen. Some of my favorites include "Fire It Up," "Missed The Boat," and "Little Motel" (You can view the video below).



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: