Monday, February 20, 2012

Feeling Heartless?

One For The Bastards...

Well, I decided to do things a little differently today. Mainly because I found myself feeling a little stupid for forgetting that The Heartless Bastards album came out this past Tuesday. What's wrong with me? Usually, with bands that I admire and appreciate, I'm always in-the-know with releases, shows, etc. But, this one managed to slip past me. The Heartless Bastards is one of those bands that just hits so hard, and packs a punch that is unparalleled in music right now. In my opinion, they are one of those beacons that ignite the feeling that all is not lost in the world. I know I'm being a little dramatic, and a little fan-crazy, but who gives a shit?

Music as at such a weird flux of mass-produced, spoon-fed garbage, that when a band with originality, talent, and cojones to match comes along, it's hard not to want to share the news. You can view Exhibit A, in the song "Parted Ways" off their new LP, Arrow, below:



Erika Wennerstrom's voice is in top shape, and the song structures are just getting more and more layered and complex. After hearing their last album, The Mountain, I found myself wondering if their sound could get any bigger, epic, or diverse, and stupidly, I said "No, this album is their finest hour." Now, I'm kicking my own teeth in because Arrow proves to be a continuation in the lineage of musical experimentation. For instance, take a listen to the first track, "Marathon," and tell me that you're not immediately sucked in.

I've seen this band play live three times, and the last two times I saw them, they opened the show with the aforementioned track ("Marathon"), and speaking for myself, one is immediately filled with this sense of excitement because you really don't know what's going to come next. I've also met Wennerstrom twice, and both times, she was this sweet, humble creature, who appears not to understand why people enjoy her music, and that for me, makes it even more enjoyable based on the fact that she's not some arrogant rock star, but an old soul. Other key tracks from the new record that showcase their golden artistry include "Simple Feeling," "The Arrow Killed The Beast," and "Down in the Canyon." You can stream the entire album, via SoundCloud, below:



Also, they are playing on David Letterman this Wednesday, the 22nd. So, be on the lookout for that. My rant is over.

That's all. PEACE.

No comments: