Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Goodbye Davy

Davy Jones of The Monkees is gone...

Well, there hasn't been much in music news that has interested me lately. Not saying that music news isn't interesting...you know...if you're into that sort of thing, but most of the "indie blogs" are alive and kicking because kids love to be in on the shiz. But, disregarding my commentary about that stuff, there was only one thing that I felt was worthy of comment, and sorry for those of you who read this and could care less (SHAME ON YOU!).

BUT...Davy Jones has passed away today due to a heart attach. He was 66 years old. This is a big deal to me because my parents pretty much raised me on The Monkees. I can just remember a bunch of random drives I'd take with my mom and dad in his 90's era Pontiac Grandam, my little 6-7 year old legs not able to touch the floor, sitting in the middle so I could see out of the windshield, and "Last Train to Clarksville" blaring on the radio. "I'm A Believer," though it's more akin to the their mainstream persona, was one of my all-time favorite songs growing up because it spoke about revival of love, and whatnot. It was just damn good. Oh, and "Stepping Stone," is pretty spectacular as well, and who can forget the whimsical majesty of "Daydream Believer"? With that, I still have that "greatest hits" CD that I was blessed with listening to while growing up. It's strange to me that a lot of people don't like The Monkees because they represent a side of rock n' roll that was carefree, poppy, feel-good, and non-judgmental. Also, one of my favorite things Davy Jones ever did was his cameo/performance in The Brady Bunch Movie, which you can see below... We will miss you Davy. Travel well.



LISTENING: Hmm...this one has been a little weird for me. Now that I've a full-time job, this has kind of been put on the backburner. Not saying I don't listen to music anymore...I'm not a sadist. But, it's mostly been whittled down to snippets of bands I like, which have lately included recycled stuff that I've blogged about (IE: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Modest Mouse, St. Vincent, etc.) to stuff I hear on the radio. A couple of radio highlights, you can listen to below...oh, and don't judge me for ABBA, it's actually a great song. And lately, I can't get "Surrender" by Cheap Trick out of my skull.



No comments: