Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Everybody wants a Grammy

Timbaland and Missy Elliott to release albums in June...The Jesus and Mary Chain reunite for some shows...Grammys have some odd pairings...Watch The Cranberries perform a classic...

Well, while I'm not especially fond of Timbaland, I get that he is a staple in mainstream pop and rap music for his collaborations and solo records. My only appreciation for him is his collaboration with the late, great Aahliyah for the track "Are You That Somebody?" But, Timbaland has announced that both he and Missy Elliott are releasing new albums in June as somewhat of a movement, and being a fan of Missy Elliott, this is pretty exciting since she hasn't released anything since The Cookbook, which has one of my favorite songs, "Lose Control." You can watch that below:



Also, one of the albums that was quintessential to my high school days (yes, I'm dramatic) was Psychocandy by The Jesus and Mary Chain. This album needs no explanation on my part. If you don't have it, buy it. That's all. But, The Jesus and Mary Chain are going to do a string of shows in the south, mostly in Texas and Louisiana, and they are also going to make an appearance at SXSW this year, so I might have to make a trip to Austin for that one.

Also, The Grammys this year is going to be stock-full of uber-famous people, so I'm sure most of you are ecstatic about the goings-on. Personally, I don't watch The Grammys anymore after acts like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry started taking over the airwaves, and the Grammys are pretty much for bands that get a lot of airplay, so I know it's not gonna be good, but to each their own. But, The Beach Boys are set to perform at the event, in what is their first show in years as a full-fledged band. However, they are getting paired with Maroon 5 and Foster The People, WTF! Seriously? Not only do they deserve their own stage time, but you're really going to pair them with Maroon 5? I'm not even going to get into my aversion to that terrible band...it's just, ugh...I have no words, I'm astonished. Also, Foo Fighters is going to perform with Deadmau5, which I find a little odd, but I mean, whatever works. I think I'll just watch the performances the next day and save my breath. Moving on...

I recently posted the new video by The Cranberries, and noted how they still sound like classic Cranberries, but what's better than a taste of a classic track? Watch below for their performance of "Dream" on Jimmy Fallon.



LISTENING: This morning, I kept with my Yeah Yeah Yeahs kick and listened to It's Blitz!. While it's their most mainstream/electronic output, it still has some key tracks, which include "Skeletons," "Runaway," and "Hysteric." Also, a friend came over last night and needed a Fiona Apple fix, so we practically listened to the entirety of When The Pawn..., which is her greatest effort in my opinion.

That's all. PEACE.

No comments: