Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Gorillaz, Banharts, and Turners! OH MY!

Devendra Banhart performs a couple of new songs...Gorillaz/James Murphy/Andre 3000 collaborate...Ike and Tina invade again...

Well, I've been a HUGE fan of Devendra Banhart's for 7+ years now, and he hasn't let me down yet. His last record came out in 2009, and it further validated for me that his musicianship just matures and grows more complex and skilled with age. Sure, Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon is his best, in my opinion, but What Will We Be was great nonetheless. Either way, you can watch a performance he did in Chile recently, in which he plays two new tracks. Enjoy...



Moving right along, I'm sure those of you who had heard that Gorillaz was going to do a song with James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem and Andre 3000 were shitting your pants in anticipation, but you don't have to wait any longer. The track "DoYaThing," can be listened to online, and downloaded tomorrow via Converse, for their "Three Artists, One Song" campaign. The track didn't exactly blow me away. I was actually getting a little bored with it, until Andre 3000 came along and saved the day. He's the only redeemable quality I see thus far, but I'm sure if I listen to it a couple of more times, I'll become obsessed with it, and discard it, which seems to be the way things work nowadays. Either way, you can listen to the track here.

LISTENING: I decided to take a break from listening to The Heartless Bastards, and for some reason, I found myself craving a healthy dose of some Ike and Tina Turner. I know...I know...some immature people can't help but bring up their tumultuous relationship, but that's not what this blog is about. We will not bow down to the petty gossip and personal vendettas of musicians and their wives/lives. No, we will focus on the music. And speaking of that, take a listen to this little piece:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: