Friday, June 1, 2012

Blue on the Floor...

The XX talk about new album...Flaming Lips and Erykah Badu share video...Black Keys also share new video...Eugene McGuinness covers Lana Del Rey...Buttsteak...

So...the XX hit it pretty big in '09 with their debut self-titled album, and while I've heard about half of it, and mostly in passing, I can understand why. Their take on dark, 80s-inspired, melancholic music was a breath of fresh air, or well, as fresh as that could be. At first, I was apprehensive about them, just because they were everywhere, and they still are everywhere. I mean, the fact that this is making news, and the fact that I'm writing about it just proves that they have a little staying power, considering they've only released the title and release date, not even a track-list, GAH! Either way, the album is going to be titled Coexist, and it's scheduled to come out on September 11, appropriate right? So, be on the look-out for that.

In other news, The Flaming Lips are gearing up to release their next work, The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends, on June 26, and they've released the video to their collaboration with Erykah Badu, on the track "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." Now, if you are skittish about nudity, blood, or glitter, then you may want to turn away from your computer screen. Everyone else, you can watch it below:



Moving along...The Black Keys have shared another video for their track "Gold On The Ceiling." I don't understand why they saw the need to release another video, seeing as how the first one was just fine for a track that is listenable at best. Not dogging the Black Keys, but I do feel as if I can't get rid of them as of late. It's nice when a great band finds some recognition, but I think these guys seem to have found too much for too little. But, you can view the Harmony Korine-directed video below:



Lastly, Eugene McGuinness, who I just heard of last week (sad, but true), has covered Lana Del Rey's "Blue Jeans." Now, I wasn't really a fan of Del Rey's track in the first place...as her voice sounds something akin to a baby whale dying on a deserted beach, but that's neither here nor there. I actually like McGuinness's version. I think it's a fresh take, and his voice is actually tolerable. Some may argue the original version is better, but when you're comparing a dying mammal to a tolerable voice, I have to question your mode for comparison. You can view his video for the track below:



LISTENING: I've spent the majority of this morning listening to 90's alternative pop-punk outfit, Buttsteak. I was wondering through a thrift store in Williamsburg (wow, that sounded so hipster), and I came across two CD's. One was a Chinese-imported soundtrack for the movie How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days, which I gave to my sister as her souvenir from my trip, and the other was the album, Shit Cool...It's The Honeycomb Generation by Buttsteak. The album title and band name sold me, and I purchased it for $1.

The album is what you'd expect...it's a hilarious take on punk/pop and alternative, with some grunge moments thrown in there (which won me over). It's normally not my type of music, but when you listen to it, it just flows so well, musically, that you could care less what the lyrics say, but then you listen close, and they either make no sense, or they're just so ridiculous, you have to rewind and listen again. Tracks that I like are "Mant," "All Fags Aboard," "Break My Heart," and their cover of Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Are Made For Walking." I wish I could post some tracks, but alas, I couldn't find any online. So, look for that one in the sales bins at your local record store.

That's all I got. PEACE.

No comments: