Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Video Kills

Studio Version of Apple's "Anything We Want"...Favorites

So, there wasn't much that I was interested in this morning besides the studio version to Fiona Apple's "Anything We Want," which I've already talked about. The studio version lives up to the precedence set by her SXSW live performance video. I'm not going to go into it too much because I'm sure I'll be talking about Apple a lot more once the album comes out, but let's just say that I'm extremely excited for this release, as most of the new albums I've been listening to are good at best, but from the three album-version tracks I've heard from The Idler Wheel is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw. And Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do, I know this album is going to be brilliant, fantastic, thought-provoking, poignant, etc. etc. etc. So, you can hear that song below:



LISTENING AND VIEWING: I spent the majority of last night and this morning dissecting and listening to Japandroids new album Celebration Rock, and if the title is anything to go by, this is certainly a celebration of rock n' roll, or at least the kind you obsess over when you're recklessly 17. Not to say that this album only appeals to a younger generation, but that's definitely one of the demographics where it gains fuel. The album is hyperactive, fun, and endearing...three words that I could spew from my butthole if I wanted to be a sarcastic dick, but no, I mean these words in their most literal and true senses. The album opens up with "The Nights of Wine and Roses," which immediately sets the upbeat and nostalgic tone of the album, especially with that fireworks sample in the beginning, which also closes the album.

I like the whole record for its consistency, yet I feel as if they could have been more experimental. That's just me. Most bands that are recognized for a certain sound tend to stick with it, and that is what Japandroids have done, but what I will say is that I like this record more than their first one, Post-Nothing. Tracks that caught my attention within the fuzz of vibrant drums and big guitars were "For The Love of Ivy," (the only cover song on the album), "Evil's Sway," "Younger Us," and "The House That Heaven Built" (which you can hear below). So, if you're a fan of post-whatever rock music, then you might want to take a closer look at this band, if only to use it as a soundtrack to looking back at being a teenager.



Other than that, I've been thinking about music a lot lately, as I tend to do sometimes. And, I think that I've started to equate "good" albums with being albums where I can take at least one extremely memorable song away from it, store it away, and keep it forever within my own little orb I call a head. If I can take one brilliant song from a record, the record was good, and while this may not be the most accurate way of calling an album good or bad, it's the way I deal with the chaotic world around me. If you must know anything about me, it's that I'm extremely neurotic, in many ways. So, I decided, being as weird and listy (not a word) as I am, to compile a list of the "memorable songs" I've heard within the past few albums I've been listening to, songs that make the album great to me. You can hear/view those below: DISCLAIMER: This is not to say these are the only good songs on the albums, these are just the ones that I took a particular liking to. You should still listen to the albums in full if you get the chance. And this is an extremely impromptu list, so I will probably continue it in later posts.

Girls - "My Ma" from Father, Son, Holy Ghost



Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Turn Into" from Show Your Bones



The Shins - "It's Only Life" from Port of Morrow



Jack White - "Take Me With You When You Go" from Blunderbuss



Regina Spektor - "How" from What We Saw From The Cheap Seats



Belle and Sebastian - "Mornington Crescent" from The Life Pursuit



Robert Johnson - "Terraplane Blues" from Robert Johnson's Complete Recordings



Bjork - "Virus" from Biophilia



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: