Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"I Endure The Flight"

Pitchfork Interviews Fiona Apple...Calexico return...Devendra Banhart and Wanda Jackson...

So, today, I kind of don't give a shit about reporting too much, and since I've spent the better part of my weekend sheltered in work, weed, and writing, let's just say that I'm excited to be out in the world again, and what greets me??? An interview with Fiona Apple. Yes, I know I've written about her a ton these past few months, but hey, it's only natural that I'm as excited as a fat kid on Thanksgiving. Not only is it just the mysticism surrounding her and the fact that she's such a weird recluse when she isn't writing/recording, but one only has to take a good, long look at her lyrics to understand her ease with words and her quotable phrases. Take for instance on her newest snippet from the new album, The Idler Wheel..., titled "Werewolf." Within the first few seconds, she states, "I can liken you to a werewolf, the way you left me for dead. But I admit that I provided a full moon. And I can liken you to a shark, the way you bit off my head. But then again, I was waving around a bleeding open wound." Enough said. Either way, Pitchfork recently interviewed Apple, and in the interview, she tackles the subject of children, her reclusive tendencies, TV and the internet, and Indie vs. Mainstream. You can read the interview here. You can also hear her cover of "Across the Universe" below:



The only other thing I found interesting was that Calexico is going to come up with a new album, titled Algiers, which comes out on September 11. I wrote about this band a few days ago, so fate must be in the air in bringing me back to them just before they come out with news of their new album. Shit gets weird in the summer. Either way, they've also shared a video for their first single, "Para," which you can view below:



LISTENING: Since I've been holed up in a writing shell, I didn't really listen to anything this weekend. So, this morning I thought I'd ease myself back into the listening world with some Devendra Banhart, mainly Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon. I'm probably repeating myself here, but I think this is his best album. I feel that he took all of his best components, his typical quirky and weird vibe, and some very honest and heart-breaking moments, which can be highlighted on one of my favorite tracks, "I Remember," which you can hear below. Don't fucking read this, just listen to the album.



I've also been listening to Wanda Jackson in anticipation for her show on June 22nd, which I bought my ticket for last week...very exciting. I've mostly been listening to her older stuff, not purposefully excluding her work with Jack White, but hey, they're always oldies, but goodies. You can hear her well-known track "Let's Have a Party" below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: