Wednesday, June 20, 2012

"I'm Going Home"

Yoko Ono and Sonic Youth (not entirely)...NME's Top 100...Hank, Roxy, Joy Division, and more...

Well, let's start with Ms. Yoko Ono, and the fact that she's teaming up with Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore (of Sonic Youth). These three folks are coming out with a six-song "mini-album" that is set to come out on September 24th. The album is going to be titled YOKOKIMTHURSTON. Sounds like it should be a hoot, so keep your eyes and ears open for that little slice.

Moving along...in NME's latest issue, they've picked their 100 greatest songs since the magazine's inception 60 years ago. According to the magazine, "We've compiled to the list to mark our 60th birthday, and these are what we reckon are the most essential songs of the last six decades, from Elvis to Azealia Banks, via The Beatles, Bowie, The Smiths and The Strokes." You can go here to view the top 20, but to see the full list, you'll have to buy the issue.

LISTENING: Today has been a slow day...well, not entirely. I once again listened to Apple's The Idler Wheel..., and I don't see that "replay" button getting any rest, the album's a fucking killer. I'm discovering something new with every listen. Other than that, I took to resting from it for a while and listening to Pandora, and what has caught my ear, more than anything, has been old gospel songs and church hymns by Hank Williams. I find myself becoming completely overtaken with them, and I can't get enough. You can hear "I'm Going Home," below:



Other than that, I've further listened to Roxy Music, and I can see why they're an art-rock household name, and their rhythms and pop-grooves are something to be desired, but for this listener, it's all a little retro-repetitive, and not all-consuming. I'd rather listen to Joy Division. They're darker, more poetic, more introspective, and just better in my opinion. And I don't say this as a way to compare the two bands, they're very different, but for some reason, Pandora keeps grouping them together, so their songs have been alternating all day. Anyhow...you can listen to Joy Divison's "Dead Souls" below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: