Tuesday, June 26, 2012

KICK IT!

Pitchfork interviews Cat Power...Matt and Kim share new single...Thee Oh Sees deliver new track...Slow listening...

Well, let's start this off with a little Cat Power. As I said before, when I wrote about her new single, "Ruin," I'm not a huge Cat Power fan. Mainly my liking to her is distilled into one particular album, that being The Greatest. And, to my knowledge, and thus a knowledge gained from having read her most recent interview in Pitchfork, that particular album was her last one with all-original material. Apparently, Ms. Marshall is a fan of covering songs, and if she can do it well, then more power to her. So, I guess that is what makes her upcoming release, Sun, so special...the fact that it's an album of all-original material as well. Either way...you can read the interview here.

As for more information circling the interwebs, Matt and Kim have shared a new single from their upcoming album, Lightning. The song is titled "Let's Go." Matt and Kim...Matt and Kim...they were one of those bands that I heard of years and years ago, when they were still up and coming, and I think that I even saw them play SXSW at some random backyard party, but didn't even really pay attention because I was drunky. But...as time has gone on, so have Matt and Kim...and to bigger and better things. I saw them play at the Fader Fort in Austin during SXSW last year, and let's just say the show was fucking epic. Erykah Badu even came out to play drums on their lauded single, "Lessons Learned." But all nude-music-videos aside, you can hear their newest track below:



Next up...We have Thee Oh Sees, whom I've written about before, so I won't go into them too much...other than to say they're a psychedelic rock band from San Francisco, and they seem to be coming up in the world. I was first introduced to them via The Mohawk, where I saw them during SXSW last year. Or the year before? Can't tell...time is a tricky fucker. But, they've released a new song from their upcoming album, Putrifiers II. The song is called "Lupine Dominus," and you can hear it via Stereogum.

LISTENING: This area has been crazy slow, and only because I've only been listening to Fiona Apple's new album. It's like a weird addictive listening drug that I keep having withdrawals from. It's no joke. Any time I listen to anything else, I just keep thinking about how I want to be listening to The Idler Wheel. I need to hear something other than this that is just as brilliant because at this rate, I don't see it going away...

Other than that, I was reading about how Iggy Pop and the singer from Best Coast (who I still haven't listened to) were collaborating for a song for the soundtrack of True Blood. Weird. But, I remembered Iggy's awesome collaboration with Peaches for her album, Fatherfucker. It's a pretty fun song to listen to, and you can hear that track below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: