Thursday, June 21, 2012

Some Voodoo For You

King Khan & The Shrines new video...Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music gets release date...Modest Mouse documentary...ELECTRIC LADYLAND...

Let's start with some superhero stardom for King Khan & The Shrines, who've just released a video for their single, "Bite My Tongue." The video shows Khan as a superhero squirting ketchup on his foes, while a Jesus look-a-like wanders around the city, squirting wine out of his eyes...yeah, no joke. You can view that below:



Moving along...I'm sure many people are going to be excited about this...but Kanye's long-talked-about G.O.O.D. Music project is finally going to see the light of day. The album, titled Cruel Summer, is set to come out on August 7th, which is pretty soon. Most recently mentioned release dates have either been for late August, or September and after, so with the blink of an eye, you will hear some good music, no pun intended.

I saw this on Pitchfork a few days ago, but didn't get to watch it...BUT, Pitchfork TV released a documentary about Modest Mouse's making of their album, The Lonesome Crowded West. I got to watch the documentary last night, and it's pretty excellent in my opinion. It also makes me feel deeply sad and regretful that I still haven't heard this album, but that can be remedied very quickly. The documentary has interviews with the band, the producers, label reps about the music scene in Olympia, the mystique of Modest Mouse, and the actual recording of the record, with concert footage, old road videos of the band on tour, etc. The interviews are excellent, and I think that's what is making me have that regretful feeling. If I haven't said it before, I think Modest Mouse is great, and I've heard about three to four of their records, but it's their earlier stuff that has gotten by me. I have some homework to do. But you can view the documentary here.

LISTENING: I've spent the better part of my day listening to Electric Ladyland by The Jimi Hendrix Experience. I bought this album when I was in my freshman year of high school, mainly after rekindling my fascination and curiosity of this amazing guitarist/songwriter. I think my curiosity was first established after watching Man of the House with JTT and Chevy Chase, when he names his Indian guide "Little Wing" and the chief of their "tribe" informs him that it's the name of a Jimi Hendrix song from Axis: Bold As Love. I guess when I was seven, I thought of this man warranted a mention in one of my favorite movies at the time, then he must be good...

...and I was right. I don't need to go into how great Hendrix is because most of you know, and those of you who don't should do some homework. But the album is fantastic. It's the last one that was recorded before The Jimi Hendrix Experience broke up, and I think it's a nice send-off, even though most people are familiar with Are You Experienced, which is also a great album. Some good tracks include "Crosstown Traffic," (one of my favorites) "Voodoo Chile," "Gypsy Eyes," and his famous cover of Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower." You can hear "Voodoo Chile" below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: