Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"Anything We Want"

Tennis does Letterman...Fiona and Oldies...

Well, let's start this off with some news...shall we? Tennis is an adorable, dreamy, indie-pop duo that I heard of a couple of years ago. I'm not too crazy about them, but I like their easy-listening vibe, and their ethereal qualities. But, aside from that, I don't think they're groundbreaking enough to make any "best of.." lists, but a little pop distraction every now and then is good for the soul, no? All motherfuckery aside, you can view below to see them playing their track, "It All Feels The Same," on David Letterman below:



LISTENING: I've fallen into a familiar tailspin. When I hear that a band or artist I admire is coming out with a new record, I start revisiting their old stuff, and become crazily obsessed to the point where I don't listen to anything else. So, after hearing about Fiona Apple's upcoming release, and repeatedly listening to her performance of new song, "Anything We Want," I have constantly been reading old interviews, watching old music videos, and repeatedly listening to Extraordinary Machine, When The Pawn..., and Tidal, and in that order. Each album is a telling story of where Fiona was at those specific times in her life, and though they each are linked in her style, which contains notes of jazz, some trip-hop and weird beats, and her contralto voice, it just doesn't get old. The woman is a genius, but some people just don't and will never understand. I could go on and on, but I'll save you the trouble. You can hear my favorite Apple track below:



Also, last night I tuned in for my good friend's radio show, which broadcasts on Pratt Institute's radio station. My friend has the 8 - 9 p.m. slot (eastern time) on Monday nights. (You can tune in on Monday nights here.) Last night was a great show in that she played what I often refer to as "my love in music," which is the golden oldies and motown era good shit. It's what I grew up listening to...it's what I turn to when life turns down a shitty road, and it's the best to me. Again, I could go on and on, but it would take days. But, here's one of my all-time favorite songs... enjoy.



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: