Friday, April 6, 2012

"It's a damn good good!"

Kanye shares new track...Kevin Shields hints at new MBV material...Mudhoney stays with me...

The title of this blog entry is a nod to friend/burlesque performer/singer/songwriter/extraordinaire, Jolie Goodnight. I can't remember the exact context of why she said this, but I just remember laughing, and it's stuck with me ever since. You can get info on her upcoming album, etc. here.

So...Kanye has come out with a new song, after releasing the track "Theraflu" earlier this week. The new track is titled "Mercy." I was expecting something a little more...I can't come up with a suitable adjective, but let's just say the track bored me. Knowing Kanye's affinity for being sample-heavy, yet creative with his choices, I guess that I just thought this would be more along the lines of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, but mostly got what seems to be a continuation of Watch The Throne, which wasn't bad, just not what I was expecting. Either way, you can hear the track below:



In other HAPPY news, Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine shared some words with Pitchfork about some late-night recording he's been up to, and hinted that it might be new MBV material, which, if it's true, is crazy exciting. I, like a million other people, fell in love with Loveless, and their noise-rock tendencies won me over instantly, reminding me of The Jesus and Mary Chain, whom I also appreciate. You can view the video to my favorite song by them, "When You Sleep," below. And...you can read what Shields had to say here.



LISTENING: I spent the majority of this morning in a more grungy, who gives a shit mood, so I decided to listen to Superfuzz Bigmuff, the first album by one of my favorite grunge bands, Mudhoney. I first heard of Mudhoney while watching the movie Black Sleep (starring Chris Farley and David Spade), when they play at the "rock the vote" benefit. The second I heard their sound, I was like, "who the fuck are these guys?" and let's just say I've been somewhat of a fan ever since. The album is great, it's when they are their dirtiest, grimiest, purest, and sickest selves. Tracks like "Touch Me I'm Sick," "Burn It Clean," and "In N' Out of Grace," are excellent. If you haven't heard this album yet, what's stopping you? You can hear the track, "Touch Me, I'm Sick" below. Though most of you who were in your formative years in the late 80's probably remember this one.



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: