Sunday, April 1, 2012

It's All The Same...

The Brian Jonestown Massacre new album...and where the fuck was I?

Well, no April fools jokes today...at least not yet. Except for the fact that I didn't even know that the Brian Jonestown were coming out with a new record. The album, titled Aufheben is set to be released on May 1st. So, I still have some time to dig out those old records and give them a listen again. I first heard of the Brian Jonestown Massacre when I was in high school and stumbled on a party where a bunch of druggies were watching Dig! by Ondi Timoner.

I became more fascinated by The Brian Jonestown Massacre, not for their weird antics, their crazy obsession with drugs/craft, or Anton Newcombe's "crazy genius" persona, but for their sound. Taking a cue from the Stones and other 60s psychedelic and garage acts, they have a sound that has remained consistent, but still fresh every step of the way. Everything I've heard from them has been golden. From "Monster" on Take It From The Man! to "The Ballad of Jim Jones" on Thank God For Mental Illness. Bear in mind that these are the only two records of theirs that I own, but it's enough to make someone a full-fledged fan. I don't know much about their new record, but I know that I'm excited for it.

This entry is also coming off of my sadness that I am not going to be able to see them in Austin on the 29th because I'm seeing Jeff Mangum (who is performing on the same night). But, I've seen the Massacre before at Emo's a couple of years ago, and they played a sprawling 2-hour set, and they didn't omit my favorite song, which made the entire experience life-changing. So, I give you my favorite BJM song, and bid you a nice April 1st.



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: