Thursday, April 12, 2012

"The Writing On The Wall"

Axl Rose rebuffs Hall of Fame induction...The 60s and 70s are calling...

Well, many news outlets are a-buzzin today with Axl Rose's announcement that he not only declined Guns N' Roses' induction into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame, but also submitted a lengthy letter describing his reasons and announcing that he would not attend the event. While Axl gave some good insight into his reasoning, after a while he veers off into random thoughts about pleasing fans, and touring with a new line-up etc., and it got to the point where I was literally saying in my head, "Axl, less is more, buddy." But, if you're interested, you can read the letter on the LA Times website, here.

LISTENING: I spent the better part of last night, diving back into some of my favorite decades of music, the 60s and 70s. I took some time to listen to the self-titled debut album of Silver Apples, which came out in '68. I don't have to reiterate my slight aversion to electronic music, but these guys were not only some of the innovators, they were the master-makers. I have a very selective ear, something I pride myself on, so if something is able to move me or cause a stir, then I acknowledge that it has to be somewhat good. Having said that, Silver Apples has won me over. Not just because they're trippy, psychedelic, and somewhat dark, but because they move within this globe of sound that is all their own, and they move within it so fluidly that it's kind of scary at times. Just taking in the first track, "Oscillations," one is already equipped with that somewhat sinister feeling. You can listen to stand-out track, "Program," below:



Aside from that, I have been listening to some good old-fashioned singer/songwriters from the early 70s, most notably Don McLean and Paul Simon. But, that's only because the radio stations in Corpus Christi are starting to get a little better. I think it's because they realize that summer is coming and a great number of people are going to be doing a lot more driving (to the beach), so they're stepping it up a little to give some good tunes for those nice little getaways. And this little nugget has been stuck in my head all day, enjoy:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: