Thursday, April 5, 2012

Saltines and Screams

Gossip and Jack White share new videos...Erratic listening...

Well, not much that I want to get into today...other than a few blurbs...According to NME, Adele's 21 is 2012's best-selling album so far, so it's looking like that album just doesn't wanna quit, and people are still infected by her take on love gained and love lost. Good for her.

Aside from that, there's some new visual aids for those who are digging new music. Firstly, there's Gossip. I first heard of this band a few years ago, when I heard the song "Standing In The Way of Control" playing at a record shop and inquired as to what band was playing. The sales girl looked at me with a "where have you been?" kind of look and informed me that they were this awesome disco-punk band called Gossip and asked if I wanted to buy their record. I didn't buy it, but I started giving them a further hearing, and I liked their style, I liked Beth Ditto's vocals, and I liked that they weren't afraid to be poppy, with a cool edge to it. They've retained their style, with (the aforementioned disco-punk homage), and it works for them. The song is catchy, the video is dark at first, but colorful towards the end, and their new album, A Joyful Noise is scheduled to drop on May 22nd. You can see the video for "Perfect World" below:



In other video news, Jack White has released the video for his second single, "Sixteen Saltines." The track is more thrashier, and in the style of his previous bands, ie: The White Stripes and The Raconteurs, than his first single. The single comes off his highly anticipated solo debut, titled Blunderbuss, which hits stores on April 24th, so mark your calendars. The video is kind of trippy, showing some old-fashioned teenage rebellion X 1000. You can view that below:



LISTENING: My listening has been a little erratic and obsessive. I've been listening to LCD Soundsystem's This Is Happening, though in a more background kind of way in that I'm not really taking note of each song. I'm just in a spacey mood. Aside from that, I've been diving into Primal Scream's Screamadelica pretty hardcore lately, and it's brilliant. I think since it was recorded in 1991, it carries traces of 80's synth pop, but it has some 90s house and techno thrown in there. And of course, they have several nods to The Rolling Stones, which you can hear in the opening track, "Movin' On Up," which kind of reminds me of "Sympathy For The Devil." Some other key tracks include "Don't Fight It, Feel It," "Loaded," and "I'm Coming Down." You can hear "Don't Fight It, Feel It" below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: