Tuesday, April 17, 2012

"Come on...Come on...Come on..."

Dandy Warhols stream new record on NME...The Sonics please...

Not much to talk about today...at least not much I'm interested in talking about. BUT...The Dandy Warhols are streaming their new album on NME, and having taken only a faint listen to the first 8 tracks, I like what I've heard thus far. Their new record, titled This Machine, is scheduled to be released April 24th. I first became acquainted with these dandies when I purchased their record, Welcome To The Monkey House some time in middle school? It was bought on a whim, and I liked a few tracks, but mostly couldn't get over their over-use of synths and weird sounds, as my mind wasn't open enough to handle that noise at the time. Since then, I've always held an appreciation for them, and yes, I know after seeing DIG!, the famous Brian Jonestown Massacre/Dandy Warhols documentary that played in many hipster havens and served as a background video to some parties I've gone to, many people always compare the bands and say that BJM is better. I'm not arguing that. I agree, but that's not the point. You can hear the album, in its entirety, here. So far, the highlights for me are "Sad Vacation," "Well They're Gone," and "16 Tons."

LISTENING: I've spent the majority of today listening to The Sonics at work. The Sonics were gloriously introduced to me when I met two crazy Colombian sisters in high school, and their famous cover of "Don't You Just Know It," was constantly played at parties, or in car-rides on the way to said parties. I could easily go into my adoration for this band, how they were precursors and innovators of punk and garage, but everyone should know that, and if they don't, then it's time to learn a thing or two. These natives of Tacoma, Washington were mainly famous in the early to mid 60s, but their sound hasn't lost its edge. You can hear their break-out single, "The Witch" below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: