Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"...On The Black Sand"

Resonant Frequency by Mark Richardson...Ty Segall Band plan to release album...Jenny Lewis and more...

Well, let's start this off with some good writing about music. Let me first say that I'm not too familiar with Mark Richardson's work, but for some reason, I decided to read this article he wrote for Pitchfork that highlights writing about music, listening to music, and how both have changed within the technological landscape. In the article, he addresses that as a music writer, one finds themselves enjoying writing about music more than listening to it in some cases (he also highlights Nicki Minaj in this portion of the article). I think it's an interesting article in that he provides an emphasis on context, about not just listening to music, but why people listen to certain things and what it means to them. Before I butcher this synopsis any further, you should check the article out on Pitchfork.

Moving along...last month I wrote about Ty Segall releasing two albums, one under his own name, and one with White Fence. Well, apparently, two albums for 2012 wasn't enough, as he is planning on releasing a third album on June 26th, with his touring band. The album, titled Slaughterhouse is said to be "a lot harder and louder." Definitely, be on the look-out for that one.

LISTENING: For the better part of my morning, I've been letting my Pandora "shuffle" me along to various musicians/stations that are in my profile. However, this is a big step for me because I don't "shuffle" songs. I generally have more or less an idea of what I want to hear, and when it comes to music listening, I rarely leave things to chance. Ask anyone...I'm usually the first person to approach a jukebox at a bar, and put a dollar in, because I want to have semi-control of what's going to be played around me. Having said that, Pandora has been doing pretty well without my help, playing the likes of The Sonics, Heartless Bastards, The Kills, Bertha "Chippie" Hill, Otis Redding, Joanna Newsom, The Breeders, and much more.

But, regaining control, I decided to opt for listening to Acid Tongue by Jenny Lewis. I know I've talked about this album before, but let me reiterate how great this album is. I've recommended it to several friends, only to hear affirmations on this album's excellency. Tracks like "The Next Messiah," "Godspeed," or "Jack Killed Mom" highlight her daring territory. It's odd to me that she would go from making a more blue-grass, gospel, folk album like Rabbit Fur Coat, and then come out with this. While it's not too far away from its predecessor, it's louder, meaner, and probably the best thing she's ever done in my opinion. Let me just say right now that I don't like Rilo Kiley...at all. Maybe a couple of songs, but they just don't do anything for me, so I strongly recommend that Jenny Lewis should just stick to her solo work. It's done wonders for her so far. You can hear the title track ("Acid Tongue") below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: