Thursday, April 19, 2012

We Don't Say Goodbye

See you later, Dick Clark...Bon Iver performs on Ellen D...Girls perform on Conan...Thee Oh Sees...

Well, let's start this off by acknowledging the elephant on the web. Yesterday morning, we lost one of America's most loved and most respected TV hosts/personalities. As a child, I only remember faint traces of Dick Clark every New Years Eve, and hearing talks about the glory days of American Bandstand. However, after informally auditing a friend's "History of Rock N' Roll" class, I started to understand more of his significance and the presence he brought to living rooms across the world. So...we say "see you later" Dick, and may the journey be filled with rock n' roll, and may you always remain the oldest teenager to have left this earth.

Moving along...Bon Iver played Ellen Degeneres' talk show. Now, I'm not too much of an Ellen watcher, mostly because I try not to watch so much television, but after seeing this performance of their song, "Towers," it's making me want to invest some time into their second LP, Bon Iver. I've only become acquainted with their first album, For Emma, Forever Ago, and I liked the quiet, sparse, yet melodic stylings of Mr. Vernon's songwriting. From reviews I've read, and snippets I've heard, I may have dumbly and rudely overlooked his second work. But, you can view the performance below:



Girls...well, they are a weird conundrum to me. Extremely talented, this band seems to have come out of nowhere. Having only been a band for...what...five years now? Not sure, I'm too lazy to look up facts. But, after seeing a performance by this band on Jimmy Fallon, I took to listening to some stuff from their first album, and I like their sound. I like the somewhat muted vocals, the garage/soul/indie melodies, which blend so oddly together, that it's kind of weird in a way. Either way...before I get too ahead of myself, you can view their performance of the track "Love Like a River" on Conan, here

LISTENING: This morning, I was in somewhat of a psych-garage mood, so I opted for listening to Thee Oh Sees' The Master's Bedroom is Worth Spending a Night In. It's a great album, not only because it has many "that's my jam" worthy songs for myself, but also because it reminds me of the first time I listened to The Cramps. They're not afraid to be dark, and they're not afraid to be experimental on some songs. Listen to tracks like "Block of Ice," "Two Drummers Disappear," and "Adult Acid." You can listen to "Two Drummers Disappear" below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: