Friday, May 4, 2012

Fighting For Our Rights

Adam Yauch RIP...Cursive share new video...Stream Tenacious D's new record...Kanye shares new video...Iron & Wine in the morning...

Well, let's start this off with a moment of silence/sadness for Mr. Adam Yauch also known as MCA. I wasn't a huge fan of the Beastie Boys, but I always had a level of respect and appreciation for the work they did, their influence in music, and their whole persona altogether. According to TMZ...Yauch was 47, and his death was cancer-related. An already lethargic day just got a little more intense.

On another note...Cursive share a new video for their song "Drunken Birds." Now, I haven't kept in extreme touch with this band's music, aside from my Ugly Organ worship, but I've always appreciated their style, and I've always liked Tim Kasher's voice and songwriting. The track comes off of their most recent effort, I Am Gemini, so if you like the video, check that album out. You can view that below:



Now, I know I'm a little late posting this, considering I saw it on NME a few days ago...my bad. But, Tenacious D have put their entire new album, Rize of the Fenix online. The last thing Tenacious D put out was In The Pick of Destiny in '06, so this has been their long-awaited next chapter, and from only having listened to the first four songs, it was well worth the wait. So far, I really like "Low Hanging Fruit," but I've had to put a halt to my listening...you know...cause I'm at work. Not exactly office-friendly material. But, you can listen to the album (in its entirety) below:



In other news, Kanye West has finally recorded a video for stand-out track, "Lost in the World," from his album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. This was the album that really won me over. I mean, Graduation was great, but this was weirder, more dynamic, and just a lot darker in my opinion. Yes, darkness wins me over. The track features guest vocals from Justin Vernon, of Bon Iver fame. You can view the video below:



LISTENING: Not much to report in this area, but this morning, I took to listening to Our Endless Numbered Days by Iron & Wine. This album was one of my favorites in my wayward adolescence, and Sam Beam's voice just resonated so much. Yes, it's this quiet, almost-whisper, but in terms of the lyrics and the song structures themselves, it's so fitting for his music. I normally would shun a voice like that, but in this case, I just have to shut the fuck up and let it take over. You can hear my personal favorite, "Sodom, South Georgia," below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: