Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Screaming Saints

Tenacious D perform on David Letterman...Florence and the Machine shares video for "Breath of Life"...St. Vincent performs on +1...Screaming Females cover Sheryl Crowe...Joanna Newsom to collaborate with Philip Glass...Johnny Cash...

Let's start with the D...Tenacious D performed their track, "Roadie" last night on David Letterman. The track comes from their most recent release, Rize of the Fenix, which I've already posted about a couple of times, so I won't spend too much time talking about that one. But, you can view the performance below:



In other news, Florence and the Machine have released a video for the track, "Breath of Life," which is going to be featured on the soundtrack to upcoming film, Snow White and the Huntsman. The video is interlaced with footage from the studio recording of the song and clips from the film itself. You can view that below:



Moving along...St. Vincent recently performed on a +1 special at the Brooklyn Academy of Music for the Crossing Brooklyn Ferry Festival. In the video of the performance, she talks with some dudes from The National about performing live, guitar talents, etc. You can view the video and performance of the song "Krokodil" below:



Also, Screaming Females...I first heard of them in 2010? I wrote a preview story on them for my college paper when they played at Emo's in Austin, and I immediately took a liking to Marissa Paternoster's vocals, and just the un-tainted raw and weird quality the band, as a complete unit, possessed. I've fell out of touch with them, but upon hearing that they have a new record out, I might have to get my greedy little hands on that one. But, they recently performed for the A.V. Club, playing Sheryl Crowe's "If It Makes You Happy." I like that they chose this song, not just because it's a good 90s tune, but because it sort of pays homage to the talented songwriter that is Sheryl Crowe. Sure, in her later years, she's sort of dropped the ball and produced some odd work, but in her heyday, she had some good stuff. You can view the cover at Stereogum.

Lastly, any news about Joanna Newsom is news in general, at least in my book. The singer is going to play a show with composer Philip Glass, in which they play work from both their albums. The event is set to take place at the Warfield Theatre in San Francisco on June 25th, so get your tickets when you can because I'm sure that's going to sell out pretty fast.

LISTENING: I've spent the better part of my morning listening to Johnny Cash's American V: A Hundred Highways, which a friend lent me. I didn't get too far into the album, but album-opener "Help Me" immediately overtook me, and I found myself hitting the replay button over and over. It's beautiful, it's sad, and it's Johnny Cash at his most vulnerable. I definitely recommend a listen to this song, if not the whole record. You can hear it below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: