Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Something Cruel

Santigold performs on Jimmy Fallon...St. Vincent performs "Cruel" on Jools Holland...Dr. Dog shares "Lonesome" video...Damon Albarn also performs on Jools Holland...It's a 7 Year Bitch...

Well, let's start this off with a little gold...Santigold. Yeah, that wasn't very clever, was it? Moving along, Santigold's newest endeavor, Master of My Make Believe is finally out, so I'm sure fans of her first album are throwing themselves at its mercy. But, Santigold stopped by Jimmy Fallon to play a cut from the record, which I posted a few weeks ago. You can view her performance of the track, "Disparate Youth," on Pitchfork.

St. Vincent recently stopped by Later With Jools Holland to perform the song "Cruel," off her latest album, Strange Mercy. While I still haven't fully listened to the record, just snippets here and there...I like this song, and I like her performance. So, you can view that below:



Moving along...I first heard of Dr. Dog a few years ago when a friend of mine got into their We All Belong LP. Liking their sound, I was excited when I got to interview them for an article I wrote for my college paper a couple of years ago. They were really nice, and gave a lot of good feedback, which, as a journalist, is what you want. However, I've kind of lost track of them over the years, and they currently have a newer record out, titled Be The Void, yeah that one went right over my head. Anyhow, you can view the video for their track, "Lonesome" below:



Also, I mentioned a while back that Damon Albarn (of Blur and Gorillaz) was releasing an album under his own name, titled Dr Dee about a 16th century figure who served as an adviser to Queen Elizabeth I. The album comes out next week, but Albarn stopped by Later With Jools Holland to perform the track, "Apple Carts." Now, speaking for myself, from listening to this song and seeing the performance, I think this is an album I'm going to have to check out. I like Gorillaz, and that one song by Blur that sticks in my memory, but I like his vulnerability in these softer moments, and I think he's a great vocalist. You can watch his performance below:



LISTENING: As I said before, I am kind of partial to early 90s grunge and kind of fascinated with the Riot Grrl "movement," and I think that 7 Year Bitch were one of those bands that embodied the power and carnal playing of that time. The only "official" album I own of this band is their Gato Negro LP, which I only own because a long-distant friend sent it to me in the mail. This album is great if you want to witness some kick-ass females lay into their instruments with no mercy, and with the ability to attain an authenticity of musicianship (at least when it comes to this style) that you don't find too much anymore...at lest if you're not looking hard enough. You can look at these girls as feminist, radical, rabble-rousing, (insert adjective/noun), but I think they're much more than that. Listen to "Disillusion" below to see for yourself:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: