Friday, May 25, 2012

"Something Comes...Something Goes"

Neil Young covers "God Save the Queen"...Beck's son dances onstage...Bright Light Social Hour review...Mott The Hoople...

Well, there wasn't much that I was interested in talking about today. I guess it's just one of those days where things don't seem too appealing, at least in the news. AND...I know that I've been talking about Neil Young a lot lately, but that's mainly because he's been all over the fucking place. He's gearing up to release a new album with Crazy Horse, titled Americana, and has a documentary coming out about him, so it's hard not to see his name everywhere as of late. But, he released the video/song of "God Save the Queen" which is a track off of his upcoming album, which is said to consist of covers of folk songs. The album is set to come out on June 4, but this little number should hold you off until then:



Also, Pitchfork posted a video of Beck playing "E-Pro" live. To experience Beck live is something that can't be reiterated unless you've been there. Okay, I'm completely lying, I could go on and on for days about what the experience was like, considering it was my favorite show of the whole 2008 ACL festival. But that's neither here nor there. As Pitchfork stated, it is probably the cutest thing I've seen today...in the video, Beck's son is dancing around the stage, and the kid's got some mad hyperactivity going on mixed with his natural affinity for pyrotechnics. You can view that performance below:



CONCERT REVIEW: I mentioned a few entries ago that I was in the process of writing an article about the Bright Light Social Hour. Well, the show was last night, and let me just say that it was some good fun. The band itself draws on many influences, from disco to blues to classic rock to fill-in-the-blank. The list goes on and on. But, these guys know how to put on a fucking amazing show. It's always good to see a band that knows how to jam onstage and have fun in the process, and when I say jam, I mean go off into 3 minute solos and completely get lost in the music, taking the audience along for the journey. They played multiple songs from their self-titled album, namely "Shanty," "Bare Hands Bare Feet," and "Detroit," among others. My friend and I agreed that they sort of channeled the magic of Queen, or rather Freddie Mercury with their vocal stylings. You can listen to their track, "Bare Hands Bare Feet" below:



LISTENING: Today, I've just been listening to Mott The Hoople's fifth album, titled All The Young Dudes. I'm not ashamed to say that I fell in love with the track, "All The Young Dudes," while watching the Jason Reitman flick, Juno. How the fuck else do you hear of new bands if you're not listening in for them? All motherfuckery aside...the album is excellent. I bought it a couple of years ago, and it's definitely an album that resonates, and you can definitely catch David Bowie influences in it, considering he produced the damn thing. Tracks like "Sucker," "One of the Boys," and "Sea Diver," definitely showcase their talent. So, that's a definite recommendation if you haven't heard this album yet. And, you can hear the beautiful track, "Sea Diver," below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: