Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Soft Hit...

Pitchfork Reviews "Hit So Hard"...Feist performs on Oakland street...R Kelly talks about new album...Pandora's box keeps opening and closing...

Let's start this off with a little love for Hole...or more for Patty Schemel. I heard a few months, maybe almost a year ago (so bad with dates), that there was a documentary about Patty Schemel that was going to outline her struggle with drugs and the hysteria surrounding early 90s grunge, as well as document Hole's fast and hard rise to the top. Being a fan of Hole, I was elated that there was going to be some concert footage, backstage clips, and a more intricate look at the Seattle scene spreading its influence across the world. And now...Pitchfork has released a review of the film, and while it's kind of vague, in that it poses the question of why the film focuses on Patty Schemel (though they don't really have anything bad to say about the film), it leaves much to be desired on the actual aesthetic qualities and sound criticism of the film's overall intent. Either way, you can read the review here, and you can watch the trailer below:



Feist recently performed on a street in Oakland, with two members of a dance crew performing some moves to "Cicadas and Gulls," a stand-out track from her latest album, Metals. As if Feist wasn't already enough of a badass, now you can see her playing an intimate take of an already intimate song. You can view that below:



In other news, R Kelly has come out with some information about his upcoming album, Write Me Back, which is due for a June 26 release. Let me just say that besides the fact that I like to make fun of R Kelly for his perverse affinity for peeing on minors, his music has always had a firm place within the music mainstream, and I myself have nodded my head, sang along, and been taken over by numerous tracks over the years. I wouldn't say I'm a full-fledged fan, but I respect the man's talent. I can now add his new single, "Feelin' Single," to the group of good R Kelly tracks. It has a nice, slick, old-school vibe, and Kelly's voice is in top shape. You can hear it below:



LISTENING: Today has been a random jumble of sounds and voices. Since I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands on new music because I've been busy, I added some new stations to my Pandora account, and have spent the better part of my morning/afternoon listening to Hank Williams, Jackson C. Frank, Robert Johnson, Joy Division, Roxy Music, and more... One song that particularly caught my attention was an old favorite of Hank Williams, Sr. You can listen to "Jumbalaya (On The Bayou)" below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: