Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Last Friday Night

Stream Garbage's album on SPIN...Fiona Apple offers deluxe version of new album...Nigel Godrich's new musical project...Pitchfork interviews Beach House...Loretta Lynn and Jack White...

Well...I expressed some minor excitement at the announcement that Garbage were coming out with a new album, even though I haven't really listened to them past Version 2.0, but let's not be repetitive. The band is currently streaming their upcoming album, Not Your Kind of People on SPIN, and if you decide that you will have absolutely nothing to do with spoilers, then you can wait until May 22nd to buy it in stores, or on iTunes on May 15th (but who honestly does that?). Having listened to the first five songs, I already have a major jones for "Big Bright World." You can hear the album here.

In other news, Fiona Apple's long anticipated album, The Idler Wheel... is also being offered in a deluxe edition, in a CD/DVD package that is also going to have some exclusive photos, artwork, and a bonus track. So, make sure you check that out if that sounds like something you'd be into. I mean, why get the standard when you can get the deluxe, am I right? The album comes out on June 19th, so mark your calendars for that one (assuming they're not digital).

Moving along...Nigel Godrich, famous for producing some of the most important work by some of our generations most important artists (including Radiohead and Beck), has come out with his own musical project, called Ultraista. He's teamed up with music artists Joey Waronker and Laura Bettison to complete the band's line-up, and they've released a video for their track, "Smalltalk," which you can view below. My first impression of this track is boredom. It just seems like basic, formulaic electronic music, which I'm sure many people will love. For me, I expected more from the man who produced The Information, one of my favorite Beck albums, but oh well.



Lastly, Pitchfork has recently interviewed Beach House. Now, I'm not a huge fan of this band's music, not saying they're bad, I just haven't gotten into it yet. Remember...I have to catch up. I'm even more inspired to hear offerings from this duo after reading the interview in which they discuss how artists have to maintain their identity in the ever-changing landscape of music. It's a very interesting and unpretentious take from an artist who know who they are, but also know their own limitations. You can read the interview at Pitchfork.

LISTENING: This morning, I listened to Van Lear Rose by Loretta Lynn. If my memory serves me correctly, I think this was her last full-length record, and it came out in 2004. Basically, this is the album that solidified Jack White as a badass. Already a huge fan of The White Stripes, when this album came out, I was floored by two things: the fact that he produced a Loretta Lynn album! and the fact that the album was fucking amazing. The record won the Grammy for Best Country Music Album in '04, and what makes it a great record is the fact that it's a true collaborative effort in that Lynn wrote all of the songs, and White helped her come out with a sound that was rich, multi-layered, and had cojones. Tracks like "Van Lear Rose" and "Have Mercy On Me" give a glimpse of White's influence on Lynn's already-stellar sound, then Lynn's signature styling comes out on tracks "Family Tree" and "Miss Being Mrs." Basically, if you haven't heard this record, please take it upon yourself to listen to it in its entirety. There's not one bad song on it. You can listen to "Mad Mrs. Leroy Brown," below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: