Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Ghost...Ghost...

Jeff Mangum amazes...Pitchfork interviews Kevin Shields...Regina Spektor shares new track...Bright Light Social Hour...

Well, I have to start this off in reference to probably the greatest show I've ever seen. As I said last week, while I was gearing up for the show, Neutral Milk Hotel is one of those bands that only ran within certain circles, if you were lucky. However, from attending the show, and seeing the most eclectic assortment of fans, I guess I was a little presumptuous. Aside from that, Mangum's voice live is indescribable. It's energetic, vibrant, he sings from the heart, and he sings from the most naked, natural place a human being can muster feelings from. It's just the greatest thing, no certain way to describe it.

The first song he played was my favorite, "Two Headed Boy, Part II." Within the first opening chords, I knew I was in for something special, and special it was! He played all of his greatest stuff, including "Naomi," "Oh, Comely," "Two Headed Boy," "Gardenhead/Leave Me Alone," "Song Against Sex," and of course, he saved "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea," for last, got a standing ovation, and even had the accompaniment of Andrew, Scott, and Laura, who opened for him, to play the horn and accordion arrangements. I just can't describe any further, but if you ever get the opportunity to see him live...don't think, just do.

Moving along...Pitchfork recently interviewed Kevin Shields in anticipation for a number of re-issues that are coming out on May 7th, which include the band's first and second albums (Isn't Anything and Loveless). In the interview, Shields discusses why the re-issues took so long to come out, in regards to rumors about them 8 years ago, and how the master-tapes were "stolen." You can read the interview on Pitchfork.

In other news, Regina Spektor has shared another song from her upcoming album, What We Saw From The Cheap Seats, which comes out on May 12. The track is decent. Maybe after a few more listens, I'll warm up to it a little more, for now, it just seems like it would be "filler" material on the record, but of course, I won't know that until I hear the whole thing. You can listen to it below:



LISTENING: I've spent the better part of this morning researching and listening to Bright Light Social Hour, to prepare for an interview with them tomorrow afternoon. I like that this Austin band mixes so many weird sounds together, to form this sort of jumble of inspirations that border on blues/psychedelic, with pop-disco influences. If I had to simplify it, I would say that their formula is sort of Black Keys meets Phoenix. In any case, I've been listening to their self-titled debut album, which is pretty good. I'd definitely recommend it, and I'm still only 7 songs into the 9-song album. So far, I like "Shanty," "Detroit," and "Men of the Sea." You can hear "Shanty" below, and this video was taken from the New Years Live show at The Parish, which they turned into an EP that came out in March of '11. Enjoy...



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: