Friday, May 18, 2012

We Get The Sun!

Regina Spektor performs on David Letterman...Antony and the Johnsons set to release live album...Chaka Khan will perform a tribute to the late Whitney Houston...Rye Rye, M.I.A. and Nat King Cole...

Let's start this off with Regina Spektor. Now, let me just say that her upcoming album, What We Saw From The Cheap Seats, isn't exactly inspiring a lot of desire in me to buy it. I feel that as her career has progressed, she's focused a lot more on production and sound than actually paying close attention to the actual songwriting. Many will disagree with me, and that's fine. I know that she's re-recorded some of her old songs for her new release, which comes out on May 29th, so in that respect, maybe my point is moot. But, I feel as if her latest releases haven't hit quite as hard as Soviet Kitsch did, but that's neither here nor there. The piano-songstress performed her current single, "All The Rowboats," on David Letterman last night, and like the song, the performance did little to instill confidence in this music listener. But, you can view it at Stereogum.

In other news, Antony and the Johnsons are coming out with a live album, titled Cut the World. The album is set to come out on August 6. I'm a little behind on Antony's work, only because that I was so amazed with I Am A Bird Now. I think there is this subconscious inkling in my mind that has made me somewhat wary of listening to anything else by him because I feel that it wouldn't compare, and that's terrible. As a music listener, and aspiring music journalist, those are the types of things one should steer clear of, but the fact that he's coming out with something new just solidifies my need to catch up on his work...at least Swanlights, which received excellent reviews. But, you can hear the album-opener from I Am A Bird Now below, it's one of my favorite Antony tracks.



Lastly, Chaka Khan in all her glory will perform a tribute to the late Whitney Houston at an awards ceremony at the Apollo Theater. I got a little excited about this, especially after having read a riveting story about Whitney Houston in the latest issue of Vanity Fair (Yes, I read!). Either way...that's something to look forward to, especially when one considers that Lionel Ritchie and Etta James are set to be inducted into the Apollo Hall of Fame. This event is happening on June 4th, and you can hear Chaka Khan's famous track, "Ain't Nobody" below:



LISTENING: Well, I feel like a dipshit, but it's all Rye Rye's fault! Her first full-length LP, titled Go! Pop! Bang! has been set for release for the past 3(?) years, and I understand that complications arise. However, the album was finally released this past week, and I've read about it, but have not mentioned it because I haven't listened to it yet. Though, I have heard several songs that are on the album, "Bang," "Sunshine," "Boom Boom," and "Never Will Be Mine," so what's that? 1/4 of the record? Either way...from what I've heard, I'm not all that excited. Tracks like "Bang" and "Shake It To The Ground," gave me hope, but let's just leave it as a faint curiosity that I like to indulge in. You can hear "Bang" below:



Also, I've been listening to M.I.A.'s Kala this afternoon. I think it's M.I.A.'s finest moment. She already broke barriers and created a massive stir with Arular, but I feel that she expanded and mastered her sound with Kala. For me, it was unprecedented, and it was bold. It took the world a while to catch onto it, many only taking a liking after hearing "Paper Planes," but the attention was well-deserved, and it put her on a platform where she could probably work with anyone she wanted to, if she hadn't already. But, you can hear my favorite Kala song, "Birdflu," below:



This morning, I listened to Love Is A Many Splendored Thing, which is a compilation of Nat King Cole songs that Capitol Records put out a while back. I bought this record at some thrift store in Austin, can't remember what it was called, and today was the first day that I found this hidden gem stuck in the back of my book-shelf, and I'm glad that I found it. Since I am a dumb-ass who isn't too familiar with Nat King Cole's work, this is a great introduction into his world, and he kindly shows you there with his wonderful vocals and brisk arrangements. You can hear the title track below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: