Thursday, January 5, 2012

Frightening!

Zooey Deschanel and Ben Gibbard file for divorce...Pitchfork interviews Charlotte Gainsbourg...Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein cover Salt n' Pepa...

Well, there hasn't been much in music news that has struck my visual fancy, so let's just settle for a few headlines, shall we? Well, firstly, Zooey Deschanel (actress and singer/songwriter from She & Him) and Ben Gibbard (genius behind Death Cab for Cutie) have decided to call it quits. Well, they announced it some time ago, but now, it's official. According to their divorce agreement, they've cited "irreconcilable differences." I can't say that I'm totally surprised, considering that when they got together, the "match made in indie heaven," headlines kind of jinxed it. But oh well.

In other news, Pitchfork interviewed Charlotte Gainsbourg, whom some of you might recognize from The Science of Sleep, Antichrist, or the more recent Melancholia. But, she's also a singer. I wouldn't necessarily call her a good singer, but that's what she does nonetheless. The interview mostly revolves around her overcoming stage fright, and breaking new ground music-wise. Though I'm not a fan of her music, I appreciate some of the things she says in the interview, and I am a fan acting-wise. You can read the interview here.

Also, Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein are currently on tour in support of the second season of their IFC show Portlandia, which I have finally seen, and can honestly say that it's pretty damn hilarious. But, in a show in San Francisco, the duo teamed up with Thao and Mirah to sing a lovely rendition of Salt n' Pepa's "Push It," which you can see below:



On a listening note, my Pandora has been going haywire on some good old fashioned garage rock. Today, I was blessed with listening to The Gants, The Yardbirds, The Ugly Ducklings, The Seeds, The Sonics, and so much more. Definitely a productive station.

That's all. PEACE.

No comments: