Saturday, January 14, 2012

Rewind and DIVIDE

Trent Reznor writing material for Nine Inch Nails...Madonna shares thoughts on Lady Gaga's "Born This Way"...Strange Boys for a strange morning...

As far as Nine Inch Nails go, my first exposure to them was when I was a young kid, and hearing "I wanna fuck you like an animal" blaring from my sister's speakers to drown out the sound of a Mexican household. Yes, it gets pretty hectic. Always being a kid that liked things I shouldn't like, I stole The Downward Spiral from her room and listened to it on repeat. I think "March of the Pigs" was perhaps my favorite, but who likes favoritism. That's neither here nor there. Well, after writing an award-winning score for The Social Network, and an award-nominated score for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, he is back to writing NIN material in 2012. You can read more about it here.

In other news, Madonna shared some thoughts about Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" single, citing how it's remarkably similar to her 1989 hit, "Express Yourself." The pop diva went on to say that Gaga's take was reductive and extremely familiar to her own track, and that she found it quite amusing and flattering. Still think Gaga is this original avante-pop enigma that's going to save music? I think not.

LISTENING: I spent the better part of the morning jamming out to MC5's Kick Out The Jams and then moved toward listening to The Strange Boys' Be Brave. I've mentioned The Strange Boys before, but this was the first time I really sat down to listen to Be Brave (thank God for Spotify). It's a great album. It's definitely not up to par with And Girls Club in my opinion, but it still has some good tracks, like "I See," "Friday in Paris," and "Night Might." Definitely an album to check out if you haven't. But here's their first single, "Be Brave," from the album:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: