Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Missing in Reaction

MIA will debut new single next week...Iggy Pop is 2012 Record Store Day Ambassador...Mark Yarm interviewed by Pitchfork...Red Hot Chili Peppers share video for "Look Around"...

MIA is one of those people that you either love or hate. Some people think she is a genius, while some people think she's a no-talent rabble rouser. Either way, I've always appreciated and respected what she brings to the table. She could have sold out and became another Katie Perry, but ultimately, she took a different route. Although she's pretty famous, I feel as if she represents a side of fame that is relentless and forward-thinking, which artists don't display anymore. Well, that's my opinion. But, the rapper has stated that her new single will debut on Monday of next week on BBC. The single is titled "Bad Girls." So, be on the lookout for that.

Also, Iggy Pop, one of my favorite frontmen, has been dubbed the Ambassador for 2012 Record Store Day, which takes place on April 21. This is meant to showcase the need and appreciation for independent record stores all over. And, Iggy shared some thoughts about being named ambassador as well as thoughts on record stores in general. You can read more here.

In other news, Pitchfork interviewed writer Mark Yarm about the lasting legacy of grunge and why it was so important during the early 90s. Yarm recently wrote a book, titled Everybody Loves Our Town, which documents the emergence of grunge and the Seattle scene which became so prevalent in our modern culture. You can read the interview here.

Lastly, The Red Hot Chili Peppers recently released the video for their track, "Look Around," off their most recent LP, I'm With You. I've never been a HUGE fan of the chili peppers. They were one of those bands I often heard in passing, on the radio or on MTV, and I genuinely dug their sound and their whole vibe, but just never felt compelled to purchase an album. I'm not particularly wowed by this track, but I am seriously considering getting into their older stuff, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Other than that, here's the video:



LISTENING: Today has been a slow day. I've mostly been driving around town, listening to 107.3 Jake FM, which isn't the best station because unlike their advert, they DO NOT play everything. False Advertising, boohoo. However, I've always loved the song "Brand New Key" by Melanie Safka, and was particularly elated when it came on. You can listen below:



That's all. PEACE.

No comments: