Monday, January 23, 2012

Old is Young

Neil Young shares thoughts on the sound of music today...Andrew Bird shares song off new album...Xiu Xiu share video...

Now, as far as my obsession with Neil Young, it mainly lies within his entire demeanor. He looks old as fuck, but he still goes out and plays amazing sets, igniting a musical inspiration in me that isn't easy to muster on my own. So, I enjoyed reading his thoughts, which I completely agree with, concerning the sound of music today. In an interview with MTV News, Young was quoted saying, "I'm finding that I have a little bit of trouble with the quality of the sound of music today. I don't like it. It just makes me angry. Not the quality of the music, but we're in the 21st century and we have the worst sound that we've ever had." He also goes on to say, "That's why people listen to music differently today. It's all about the bottom and the beat driving everything, and that's because in the resolution of the music, there's nothing else you can really hear." The interview wasn't all bad. He commends bands My Morning Jacket and Mumford & Sons, conveying his admiration for both of the bands.

Also, Andrew Bird has released a song from his upcoming LP, Break It Yourself. The song is pretty good, in my opinion. I've never been a huge fan of Andrew Bird. He's one of those musicians that I heard so much of on indie blogs and web sites, that it seemed like a cliche for me to get into him, but I know enough about him to respect what he does. You can listen to the song below:



Lastly, Xiu Xiu have come out with a video for their song, "Hi." Now, as I have stated before, I'm not a huge electronic music fan. I concur with the fact that Jamie Stewart is creative, but I wouldn't purchase a Xiu Xiu album, not would I spend free time listening to them, save for their cover of Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" or "I Love The Valley Oh." But, I understand why people love them, and I understand why they "matter." So, I give you "hi."



LISTENING: I spent the majority of today listening to Show Your Bones by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, which is their best album in my opinion. I feel that on this album they showcased how nuts they can be, while also exhibiting their quieter, softer side. However, what sets this apart from Fever to Tell or It's Blitz! is that they examined different song structures to make each song tell a story in itself. Listen to "Honeybear" and try telling me there's not a lot of shit going down there. Favorite song is "Turn Into." Other than that, it's been slow but steady. Check back for more.

That's all. PEACE

No comments: