Monday, January 9, 2012

Made In Hysteria

The Shins share new song...At The Drive-in reuniting...Brandy and Monica collaborate for first time in 14 years...Erykah Badu hosts BBC special 'Black is a Country'...

When you eliminate some form of technology, you find yourself completely lost. It's a sad, but true revelation in this fast-moving, fast-talking, fast-acting age. But, my computerized reformation has blossomed with the renovation of technological malfunctions, and I am back online (at least for now). So, having overcome my laziness, I am happy to report some exciting things.

The Shins have shared a new song from their upcoming release, Port of Morrow. I am somewhat excited for this release, considering that after a friend showed me Wincing The Night Away, 2007 became a better year. You can view the track here.

I'm sure that most of you will be happy to hear that At The Drive-in is getting back together. Not to say that I'm a huge fan. My only encounter with masterminds Credric Bixler-Zavala and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is their fantastic Mars Volta debut, Deloused in the Comatorium. But, I'm sure that this will be a welcomed reformation, especially when one considers how busy they'll be since they are also going to be releasing some new Mars Volta material as well.

In other news, Brandy and Monica spent some time in the studio on Saturday, recording a new track that both of them talked about on their twitters (WEIRD!). I'm sure most of you remembered their award-winning duet, "The Boy is Mine." I know everyone jammed that song in my neighborhood when I was growing up. But, as a memory-refresher, you can view the video below:



I was especially excited to hear that Erykah Badu was hosting a two-part series on BBC, titled "Black is a Country." Upholding my interest in black culture and the Harlem Renaissance, it's refreshing to hear some new material about the Black Arts Movement of the late 60's and the political environment that was already set in place. I think it's incredibly eye-opening, and it's accompanied by important voices from the black community, like poet Sonia Sanchez and jazz musician Ornette Coleman. You can listen to the first episode here.

On a listening note, I've spent the better part of the day alternating between Easter by Patti Smith and Paul Robeson's Favorite Songs. And I guess I'm in a particularly Afrocentric mood today...remembering all of the great black literature I've read, and amazing videos I've seen. So, here are a few I'd like to share...





That's all. PEACE

No comments: